Sunday, September 1, 2013

Back to Mario 3...

Kicking a Koopa Shell to kill the sun...
I never questioned how truly bizarre this is until now.
Super Mario Bros 3 is one of the best Mario games ever made. Deciding to go back to play the game all the way through the 8th world to explore it all again more than 20 years later was definitely well worth it.

So many hidden little secrets, especially in the 1st world alone. All this was first experienced back in the days before the Internet, when secrets were learned firsthand, and then shared among friends. Some secrets were deliberate cause and effect in a level, while other things like the magical Coin Ship seemed to appear completely at random (until The Players Guide revealed the specifics).

I played a bit of the original classic, but opted for the Super Mario All-Stars version so I could actually save my progress, all the while collecting random screenshots here and there.

As a sidenote, I also just happened to find an article called "Mario in Japan", which explains the meanings behind the names of "Kuribo's Shoe" and "Jugem's Cloud", as well as a bunch of other neat stuff:
http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_j-e.shtml


It's Rocky Wrench...
Man, how I hated Rocky Wrench!

Time for a fair fight against those Hammer Brother pricks...

Screwed.



Little Castle of Horrors!
I guess all that fire and lava really gets the Piranha Plants in the mood...



I've always thought that Stretch looks like Boo Diddly...


I always thought that the King in World 3 looks like Mario...
Upon researching it, I found an article that shows something interesting about the final islands in World 3...
The way the four islands are sized and positioned, it actually resembles Japan! No joke...
http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_j-e.shtml





No comments:

Post a Comment